Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The paintings at Amelie Poulin's Apartment: Michael Sowa

This weekend I watched "Le Fabuleaux destin d'Amélie Poulin" for the 474th time, and as it is full of small details, I discover new things every time I watch it. This time, I decided to find out whose paintings were hanging on her walls and discovered the work of Michael Sowa. So I went to a bookstore to see if I could find something, and there it was: Sowa's Ark - An enchanted bestiary.
Sowa is a German illustration artist. His works remind me a little of Magritte's paintings, but in his illustrations, you'll find cows, pigs, dogs, and other funny characters surrounded by surreal and exquisitely drawn environments. It took me back to my childhood when I believed in talking toads and magic furniture. For your beautiful eyes: Michael Sowa.




















4 comments:

  1. Many thanks for having this information available ... I ordered the book
    today. Very much in the Magritte style with a little Far Sidesque..?
    seasoning..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Book is magnificent... hope you enjoy it as much as I do

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the information on the art - it's nice to know there are other Amelie addicts out there like myself. Perhaps there is a 12 step program for us. Incidentally, I still believe in talking toads and magic furniture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathleen! Hope you found the information useful. I think Sowa's art was the perfect match for Amélie. Thank you for your comment and for visiting the blog! I promise to keep updating it soon.

      Delete